May 27, 2009

When I'm not on the internet . . .

Some of you may know that I'm an avid reader. Mostly I read brain candy, but occasionally I'll read something deeper and more meaningful. I'm not really sure where The Stand fits in there, but it's what I'm reading right now. For like the 6th time.

In high school, perhaps sophomore or junior year, I had a teacher for Sociology (Mr. G - whom I had my first awkward and bizarre, ahem, sex dream about (awkward and bizarre because, late bloomer that I was, I probably didn't even know what a penis does and yet here is my 50+ year old Soc teacher with his pants down in my dream - like I said, awkward)) who told us about one of his favorite books, The Stand by Stephen King. I had never read any Stephen King but being the impressionable young girl I was, who apparently had an inappropriate crush on her teacher, I went out and read it. And I haven't looked back since.

I've never had a favorite song, band, color, or food but if pressed, I would say that The Stand is my favorite book. Followed pretty closely by The Dark Tower series, also by Stephen King. I'm not sure what it is about these books that I love, but love them I do. I know I enjoy how complicated the stories are, how developed the characters are and how you come to hate or love certain people in the books all over again each time you meet them, how each time I read one of them I find something new to get excited about or scared about, or even something old that takes on a new meaning to me at that particular place in my life. I suppose most books can have that sort of impact on you, but for me these are the only books I've read so many times (with the exception of that wizard with the broken glasses).

Do other people read the same book multiple times? I know that most people who are voracious readers, those who read for FUN, do. What are your "go to" books?

2 comments:

Lisa and Josh said...

Why read scary stuff? You don't already have scary dreams on your own yet!?

Scenic Pit Stops said...

Hmm, good question. Stephen King doesn't generally give me scary dreams. And these days, if I do get freaked out before bed, I just have to distract myself for a half hour or so and then I'm usually good.