December 20, 2008

Commencing countdown, engines on

I'm about to tell you something that may shock you: yesterday, I had a manicure AND a pedicure. I know, you are wondering who I am and what they've done with the real me, but calm down, it's me, I promise. For my birthday, SGT T gave me a gift certificate to the local "spa" here on the base so yesterday I finally used part of it. The certificate was for the "Queen for a Day" package, which, how pretentious does that make me feel?, and includes the mani/pedi, a deep pore facial, and a one hour massage. Oh, and my birthday was in August. I figured since I'm moving next month I better use it so I convinced myself that I would do the massage and facial as celebration for completing the Couch to 5K program and I'd do the manicure and pedicure for Christmas. I finished the jogging thing early this week but they had no openings for a massage so I'll have to wait until after the holidays. They did, however, get me in for my mani/pedi. My toes are bright red, for the holiday, and my fingernails were sort of a sheer gold color before I methodically picked at them until the were clean. And that is one reason I don't do manicures.

We leave tomorrow for Oregon and I can't wait! While chatting it up with the nail technician we ended up talking about being able to go home finally and one of the things you look forward to most is the restaurants. Oh man, I can't wait for a burrito from Andale's! From what I hear, we'll also finally get to experience some winter weather. I walked outside yesterday and the thought that ran through my head was, "What is this, California?", it was just too warm! Even the breeze was warm, not like some winter days where the sun is out and so it feels warm but then the wind blows and you're like oh yeah, there it is, it's December after all. Not here, which, I don't know if that is normal or not but it is entirely too warm for my liking. Lucky(?) for me, the PNW is having some crazy weather going on, lots (it's all relative, people) of snow and ice and closed school and closed roads, and that is just perfect for a cozy holiday at home! One thing I really liked about living in Utah was how much it actually felt like winter there, all the snow and cold and just great. SGT T hates it, but maybe because he has to be outside working in it, I don't know. I just know that I *heart* Winter!

We leave tomorrow and I've got so much to do before then. Must exercise since tomorrow will be a travel on my ass kind of day, then laundry so we can pack because I haven't a pair of clean undies left anywhere!, and most importantly cleaning the house so I don't have to worry about it when we get home. Nothing beats coming home from vacation to a shiny sparkly abode. Assuming the cats will pick up after themselves, of course. They've lately taken to terrorizing the windows and we will be lucky if all we have to do when we move out is replace every single set of blinds and not entire windows. I'll try to get a picture of their newest trick of climbing up the window (sheer strength of claws I guess) because it competes in cuteness/annoyingness with them climbing up the screen door and hanging out up their spread eagle.


In an effort to find some Christmas spirit yesterday, I left the house to join the holiday crowds at the local shopping establishments. Not the mall, because I think I would have passed out from stimulation overload, but both PX's here on post, as well as a beauty supply store across the street from the mall. I think I made up for my hermit-like lifestyle yesterday and used up my entire years quota of patience and just being near so many people. In a way, yes, it felt like the holiday season was upon me, I mean all those people spending all that money in an environment with all that forced holiday cheer, how could I not feel it? All I can say is I'm glad to be going home tomorrow so that we can be surrounded by our friends and family, maybe then it will actually feel like the holidays.

1 comment:

Freckles said...

I am so excited you are coming here. I can't wait for our Monday day date!