January 8, 2009

Put a sock in it, puhleeeaaase.

I. AM. SO. BORED. Earlier this week was all hectic and phone calls and reservations and cancellations and re-schedulings and to do lists for the next three weeks. Those To Do lists are still there because of the cancellations and re-schedulings where it turns out I can't make things happen RIGHT NOW just because I want them to. No matter how much crying I do. So now I've got some "down time" while I wait for move day to get a little closer.

Turns out Mom is going to come out and help me with the packing and movers and cats. The final decision is to fly across the country and leave the car in storage. This will be my first experience flying with animals. I'm really excited. Really. I've decided to take them as carry-on instead of checked luggage because of the $75 difference in fees. Per cat. Bankrupt airlines, my ass. Baggage fees, "extra legroom" fees, meal fees, pet fees; bend over fees is more like it.

So, mom is coming out at the end of the month, she'll help me clean the house which I apparently need because I rarely do cleaning here. Only when I start hearing hints from SGT T about something, you know, like, "Wow, when did we get a furry garbage can?". Chances are, knowing that mom is on her way out here will motivate me to clean before she arrives. Then we'll deal with the cats and hope they don't create any scenes on the plane. It could be embarrassing.

The good news is that we decided to hire a company to do all the packing and moving for us. Since SGT T will be gone before any packing is done I figured the best way to be sure nothing winds up broken, by my fault, would be to hire somebody. I found a company that does all the packing, moving, and has their own storage facility and feel pretty OK about the amount of money we will be giving them over the course of the next year or so. For the most part. You might call me lazy but it is more a matter of time and ease and insurance. I mean, if I'm going to have to hire somebody to load up the truck anyways, and if I'm going to have to put our stuff in storage anyways, why not have them pack the boxes? They said that if we packed, we would be responsible if something broke because of packing during the move, whereas if they do it, they are. And after you figure in the cost of boxes and time, it turned out to be a better deal to have them do it. The guy that came out for the in-home estimate said they'll start around 8:30 in the morning and be done by 1 in the afternoon at the latest. I can guarantee you that if I were doing the packing, even with Mom's help, it would take all day.

So, SGT T is leaving soon. I'm sad. Today we had to go to a FRG meeting which turned out to be incredibly lame and pointless, but for some reason when we sit there during these meetings and the Captain is talking about the deployment I get all weepy and blurry eyed and have to think about other topics lest I publicly embarrass myself. Maybe it is more real to hear him say it, because I don't usually get that emotional about it when we talk about it at home. Sometimes, but not always.

I just realized that I've written a lot about nothing and in a not very coherent way, so we'll just stop now. M'kay?

No comments: