July 30, 2011

Hooray for quick projects!

So, I finally figured out that if I do quicker, more simple projects, I feel much more accomplished. Like I'm making more progress, getting more done. Such a simple trick, and it lets me use way more yummy fabric, in a bigger variety of ways, than just making quilts would! Plus, no aggravation of trying to drag a huge quilt through my weensy little machine to quilt the top (gotta be my least favorite part!!). So, win-win!
I made my first Gum Drop Pillow (Amy Butler) today. I decided to bring some color into our living room, because up until now, it's been brown, beige, brown, black, and brown. Did I mention the brown? So, I chose brighter fabrics for these (hopefully I'll get a couple more made), and then I am hoping to do the Loulouthi Tiles quilt-a-long, hosted by Rachel at Stitched in Color, to brighten things up a bit. You know, when I get to it.

So, mission accomplished - color! These pillows are incredibly simple to make, the hardest part was stuffing it with the filling. It's hard getting it in there evenly and if you didn't notice in my pictures, I strategically angled the pictures so you couldn't see exactly how lopsided mine turned out! :) This one pillow ended up taking two 5 lb boxes of filler, and there still could have been room for more! That's a lot, and also a lot of money, so I don't know that I'll be exactly rushing to make more, but eventually I will!

No comments: